skip to navigation »

 

I am here Introduction > Discover > Historical Monuments > Chateaus > Ostrov Chateau

Ostrov Chateau

 

Category: Chateaus Region: Karlovy Vary and its surroundings Town: Ostrov 

 

The town of Ostrov is dominated by the recently reconstructedchateau. The Renaissance Šlik chateau was enlarged and rebuilt in Baroque style by the Dukes of Saxe-Lauenburg and the Margraves of Baden. The stone entrance portal was created by local sculptor Martin Möckl in 1690. The Bílá brána (White Gate) made by master stonemason Paul Büttner serves as the present-day entrance to the chateau park. The original extensive chateau park was once denoted as the eighth wonder of the world.  After the Šlik chateau had been damaged by a fire in 1691, its part facing the garden was rebuilt into the so-called Pohledová zeď (Face Wall) by court builder Domenico Egidio Rossi. In 1809, the Ostrov demesne passed into the possession of the Grand Dukes of Tuscany. In the 1870s it was rebuilt according to the plans of Damian Klemm. The chateau served different purposes in the past. During World War II, for example, it served as a branch of the Flossenbürg concentration camp. Until its reconstruction in 2012, it had housed a secondary industrial and engineering school.

Since the completion of its reconstruction in 2014, the chateau has been serving as the seat of the town council. The inner courtyard of the chateau known as the Dvorana (Atrium) is covered with a glass roof and its combination of historic and modern architecture creates space ideal for various cultural and social events.

The newly installed expositions attract tourists to the chateau. At the Dvorana, we may find exhibitions entitled "The Changing Chateau in the Course of Time" and "The Hidden Secrets of the Chateau" mapping the history of the chateau and featuring exhibits discovered during the reconstruction. Worthwhile is also "The Ostrov Region and Mining" exposition, which is divided into two parts.  Among the exhibits of "The Šlik Family and Minting" exposition, you may admire a silver cassette, which has been declared a cultural monument in 1992 and a national cultural monument in 2015 as it represents a masterpiece of immense artistic value and of European significance. The cassette is decorated with 44 Šlik coins and medals minted at the mints in Jáchymov, Horní Slavkov, Planá, Nuremberg, and Prague. The tolars and medals are set in small gilded silver frames. The cassette is the work of renowned Augsburg jewellery maker Johann Andreas Thelot. The second part of the exhibition entitled "Ore Mining in the Ore Mountains" maps the history of mining in the region.

The newly reconstructed Pohledová zeď (Face Wall) includes an observation platform, which offers a marvellous view of the park and its surroundings. You may also admire the Zahrada vůní a barev (Garden of Scents and Colours) with beds of herbs and shrubs, as well as benches and information signs.

 

 

 

Contact data

Address: Jáchymovská 1

ZIP: 36301

Phone: +420 354 224 950

E-mail: ic@ostrov.cz

Website: www.icostrov.cz/zamek-ostrov

 
 
 
 

Other Accommodation »

 
 
 

Find us on facebook:

 
 

Other useful websites:

 
Living Land

Living Land
Official Guide of the Karlovy Vary Region

E-mail: info@zivykraj.cz